Language, Literacy and Numeracy Policy and Initial Skills Assessment Policy Statement
The College recognises the importance of ensuring that students are assisted to identify the most suitable course for their needs and that many potential students require assistance with the development of their English language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) skills prior to or in conjunction with their enrolment.
The College through the application of its Initial Skills Assessment (Language, Literacy and Numeracy) Policy will:
- accurately describe each qualification and its potential vocational outcomes
- provide prospective students with guidance on the recommended or required prior educational levels and the resources or work environment required for the course
- determine and publish minimum language, literacy and language requirements for various qualification levels using plain English descriptors
- determine and publish minimum LLN requirements that apply for specific qualifications and delivery methods eg correspondence learning
- establish a range of methods to assist students to measure their language, literacy and numeracy skills
- implement effective and sensitive procedures which allow for the identification of individual student language, literacy or numeracy needs so that students are provided with advice and support services
- train staff in language, literacy and numeracy skills gap identification as required within their roles.