1. Where the College makes a decision NOT to re-credit a student’s FEE-HELP balance that decision may be subject to review.
2. If a Student is not satisfied with the decision made by the College, the Student may apply a review of the decision. The application for review must:
- Be made within 28 days of receipt of the original decision
- Include the date of the original decision
- State fully the reasons for applying for the review
- Include any additional relevant evidence
3. Applications should be made in writing to the College Managing Director as the designated Review Officer of any decisions relating to a request for re‑crediting of a FEE-HELP balance.
Note: The Review Officer is senior to the designated VET FEE‑HELP officer responsible for the original decision and was not involved in making the original decision to be reviewed.
4. The Review Officer will:
- Acknowledge receipt of the application for review of a decision in writing within 10 working days; and
- Inform the Student that if the Review Officer has not advised them of a decision within 45 days of receipt of the application for review, it is taken that the Review Officer has confirmed the original decision.
5. The Review Officer will then:
- Review the information from the original decision and then assess any new evidence provided by the Student
- Provide written notice to the Student of the decision, setting out the reasons for the decision
- Inform the Student of their right to apply to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal if they disagree with the Review Decision, and timelines involved (see below).
RECONSIDERATION BY THE ADMINISTRATION APPEALS TRIBUNAL
1. Students may appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) if they are not satisfied with the outcome of the internal Review of Decision.
2. The College Review Officer will inform the student in writing of this right and provide the contact details of their closest AAT office and the approximate costs of lodging an appeal at that time.
3. General contact details for the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) are:
Administrative Appeals Tribunal
GPO Box 9955
Sydney NSW 2001
Phone: 1300 366 700
4. The approximate costs of the full application fee for lodging an appeal with the AAT is $816 (as at 17 April 2013). In certain circumstances, including for students receiving youth allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY this fee can be reduced to $100. See the AAT website for details.
Note: Full details of the application process and fees payable are available on the AAT Registry’s website:www.aat.gov.au. Fees are subject to change – refer to the AAT website for up-to-date fee information. Applications cannot proceed until the fee has been paid or waived. Applications for fee waiver must be made to the AAT. Refer to the AAT website for more details.
5. The Application must be lodged at the AAT within 28 days of receiving written notice of the Review Decision. This time limitation can be extended in limited circumstances by order of the AAT.
6. The Secretary of the Department, or the Secretary’s delegate, will be the respondent for cases that are brought before the AAT. Upon the Department’s receipt of a notification from the AAT, the Department will notify the College that an appeal has been lodged. Upon receipt of this notification from the Department, the Review Officer will provide the Department with copies of all the documents that are relevant to the appeal within 10 business days.